Cost of Goods Sold disappears from Invoices

geminigoddess1962 at gmail.com geminigoddess1962 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 08:40:13 EST 2015

I am new to GNUCash but love that I can track my personal and two small
business with it. I've used QuickBooks and Quicken extensively so have a
decent handle on how GNUCash works.

I have a kitchen and bath design company and my husband has a construction
business.

We purchase "job materials" for customers and I need to be able to bill
those "job materials" back to the customers when the job is complete.

I've figured out that I need to check the "billable" column on the vendor
invoice after I've entered the customer name and job information.

When it comes time to invoice the customer - the job materials do show up. I
select the income account for the materials to be "income - reimbursed
expenses". I add a labour line with income account of "income-sales" and
click save.

Here's the weird part - when I click on the "post invoice" icon - the
materials lines disappear, but the labour portion remains.

When I check my accounts receivable account and/or the customer report - the
only amount showing up is the labour portion.

I don't understand why the job materials disappear off the invoice.

I have WIN 7, not sure of the version of GNUCash, but it was downloaded in
the last month.

I did check the forums for answers to this question - but didn't see
anything. If anyone has thoughts on what is going on I will appreciate
hearing from you very much.

Jill