Budget Editor Entry

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 18:58:17 EDT 2015

Sun, 15 Mar 2015 14:40:38
<CAB5KxtUM1tJW7rRyv=FYjkS1qKunwHYyGECkkhKmVwZ0ztQ4XQ at mail.gmail.com>
Russell Mercer <rmercer206 at gmail.com>

>Wm,
>First, let me thank you for the response, and at least at the end, the
>link to the enhanced budget report.  That could be useful.

Good, I think you and I will get on better than you expect.

>Now, as I referenced in my initial email, a couple years ago, someone
>asked a similar question about the budget editor, and received a
>response questioning why they were using the function.  I was oblique
>in my reference before, but to be clear, You were the person who
>replied last time, with an equally unhelpful and insulting answer.  If
>you don't have anything nice to say, or anything that actually moves
>the discussion along, don't waste my time and yours by responding.

Alternatively, if you are stuck where you were before why are you
approaching us again?  I understand budgeting very well so I don't see
why I am being unhelpful in saying gnc as standard isn't very good at
it.  It is just a fact.

>If budgeting functionality is included in software, it should work.  If
>I am doing something wrong, and I ask a question, it would be nice to
>be told what I'm doing wrong instead of questioned why I'm using
>functionality that IS A PART OF THE SOFTWARE!!!!

gnc includes idiosyncratic budgeting that may or may not work for you.

no-one has (as far as I know) suggested it is an all encompassing
generalist budgeting module.  quite the opposite in fact, people keep on
saying it is probably crap and you shouldn't use it.  What is your
problem?

>Yes, I am angry, because you are a jerk.  If that gets me kicked off
>the mailing list, then so be it.

Nah, I'm rude too, you should be safe insulting me :)

Be careful with other people.

>  Every one of my questions you
>responded with an insult or questioning my intelligence.

If you see it that way.

>  I didn't come
>to Gnucash from a "budgeting background", as you stated, so I wasn't
>doing it wrong before.  I've never used a budget in software before,
>and thought it might be useful as part of maintaining my finances, so I
>wanted to try it.  I encountered a problem, or what seemed like a
>problem, so I asked a question about it.

You've pointed something out there ... why did you want something you
didn't have before?

>There is a difference between knowing what costs may be in the future,
>and being able to set limits to compare what costs I am incurring, with
>a possible maximum amount.

Yes.  You can't do that with gnc budgets

>  That doesn't work for Future Cash Flow,
>since I haven't spent it yet and don't know exactly how much I am going
>to spend.

It does actually.  If you aren't going to consider other people's
approaches you and I must fall out about now.

>You are correct that No One bought Gnucash for the budgeting.  As is
>very clear, it is an open-source product with some very dedicated
>developers working to keep it updated and improved.  So, no one bought
>it at all.  That has no bearing on my statement that different reports
>contradict themselves in their behavior.

It does actually.  There are a number of people that use and
occasionally defend the product.  I am one of the people that has used
gnc's basic statements in statutory circumstances.  If it is OK for
government reporting why is it crap for you?

>It may be correct that budgeting has naught to do with accounting.

Yes, in truth they are best regarded as part of the same set of sums.

>  It
>does have significant impact on finance, and managing my finances is
>why I use Gnucash.

OK

>  It makes sense to be able create a budget directly
>connected with my accounting records than to take it into another
>package thus requiring additional processing and duplication of data.

Only you can answer this.  Accounting may be done daily, weekly or
monthly, their are monetary imperatives for the periods.

Who says how often you budget or what period you budget for?

>If this was the wrong place to put my questions, I apologize.  I wanted
>to ensure I wasn't doing something wrong prior to filing a bug report.

There is no bug.  You can try defining one if you like.

>My thanks to YeOldHinnerk for coming to my defense.

I find him entertaining too.

>  I apologize for
>going off on a rant.

You shouldn't.  If we exercise our opinions in forceful ways amongst the
right people all is fine.

>  It is responses like I received that discourage
>other people from utilizing mailing lists like this one, regardless of
>the potential benefits.

I disagree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyw04E-Zujc

goodnight Mike, you made a difference to me growing up in Grahamstown,
South Africa

--
Wm...