Quicken file compatibility

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Mar 21 20:26:09 EDT 2015

Hi John,

Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> writes:

> On 20 March 2015 at 13:04, John Spanos <jspanos at optonline.net> wrote:
>> I have an older expired version of Quicken. I use it mostly to monitor my
>> (EFP) electronic funds payment. The few checks I actually write a month. And
>> some stocks.
>>
>> If I install gnucash, will I be able to open up my old Quicken files? And
>> pickup where I left off? Or aren't the 2 systems compatible?
>
> No you cannot, they are not compatible.  You should be able to export
> the data in QIF format and
> import that into Gnucash, but even that is not trivial.

I would phrase this in a different way.  You could export your data from
Quicken and import them into GnuCash.  GnuCash is not a stand-in for
Quicken -- you cannot go back and forth.  If you want to switch you can.

Note that you need to explicitly export to QIF format; GnuCash cannot
read QBW files directly.