GNU cash crashes when I try to link an invoice to a payment on account

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Mar 24 11:08:32 EDT 2015

On Tuesday 24 March 2015 12:15:43 andy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can anyone tell me why GNUcash vs 2.6.5 on Lubuntu 14.04.1 crashes
> whenever I link a payment on account with an invoice.
>
> I would have a payment linked to a customer then also have an invoice,
> and then business/ customer/ process payment and highlight both
> payment and invoice so payment amount is zero. At this point Gnucash
> just freezes.
>
> It also freezes if the payment amount is negative. This means I can't
> apply forward payments to invoices and so invoices don't get paid and
> customers have huge unapplied amounts.
>
> Is this a setup problem or generic bug for developers (which I can't
> help with sorry)

Hi Andy,

That's not supposed to happen :(

Is there any information in the trace file [1] ?

I know there is at least one bug in the invoice/payment link logic in
2.6.5 for which a fix will be in gnucash 2.6.6. I can't tell just like
that though if you are experiencing this same bug.

You may also want to check the transaction logs that gnucash generates.
These are files with names like <your-data-file-name>-<timestamp>.log
which are generated in the same directory as your data file.
The one being written to while gnucash freezes, does it continue to
increase in size ?

Geert

[1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile