gnucash and gnome keyring

Fabio Coatti fabio.coatti at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 17:17:17 EDT 2015

In data lunedì 23 marzo 2015 09:47:35, nvsoar ha scritto:
> On 3/22/2015 11:05 PM, Stuart McGraw wrote:
> > I recently installed a new Fedora-21 system with Gnucash
> > installed from Fedora's yum repository.
> >
> > Frequently when I start Gnucash, I get prompted to enter
> > a password for my keyring.  I would like to stop that.
> > I don't use the keyring program at at all.  (And I'm not
> > sure what the point of a password on the application is
> > when the data is unencrypted and easily accessible but
> > it seems someone thought it was a good idea...)
> >
> > Any idea how I turn the thing off?
> >
> > Besides the annoyance factor, I've been unable to get
> > stock price updates via a cron job to work and wonder if
> > the password business has something to do with it -- it
> > was working fine on my old system.
> >
> > Apologies if this is wrong place to ask.  I tried the
> > Fedora list and got no response then saw something in Google
> > that suggested the code for doing this keyring business
> > might be in Gnucash and not some kind of Fedora packaging
> > enhancement.
>
> See if these links assist in resolving the problem -
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=293104
> https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/38840/how-can-i-change-the-keyring
> -password/
> http://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comments/2rav8m/f21_unlock_keyring_for_user_
> with_no_password/ nvsoar

I'm using gnucash with mysql backend and I'm facing a possibly related issue. My
environment is KDE, but with all gnome/gtk libs needed by gnucash. Every time I start
gnucash and access mysql backed data, gnucash asks for database user/password, then
for keyring password. I expected that next time gnucash will ask only for keyring
password, but instead it repeats the previous steps: mysql user/pass, then keyring. It
seems to me that gnucash tries to save user/password in keyring but at following access
it does not checks for keyring, or fails the check.
It is not a showstopper, but it can be a bit confusing and time consuming for users: if the
keyring is not available (understandable, as I'm running on KDE), maybe gnucash should
avoid to try to save the pass in it (or use kwallet instead, that would be a big win :D )

--
Fabio