gnucash and gnome keyring

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Tue Mar 24 23:05:17 EDT 2015

On 03/24/2015 08:11 PM, John Ralls wrote:
> [...]
> GnuCash itself doesn't ask for the keyring password, of course, Gnome
> Keyring does. But AFAICT from the code GnuCash should be querying the
> keyring for the password first and only asking for the password if it
> doesn't find it, so keyring should be asking for its password before
> GnuCash asks for the database password. I won't be able to debug this
> until I get back, so unless Geert can, it won't make 2.6.6.
 >[...]

It would be nice, if some work were going to be done in this area,
if a provision could be made for Gnucash to optionally not to ask
for or send any password to the database, to allow Postegresql's
.pgpass access method to work.  (I don't know if MySql offers a
similar facility.)  I suspect that many people who choose to use
Gnucash with Postgresql do so because they are already using
Postgresql for other things and would prefer an access method
that they are already using for those other things.