Reversing QIF file amounts

Matthew Steeples matthew at mercuryit.co.uk
Tue Mar 31 16:40:28 EDT 2015

Hi,

I've tried searching the archives for this and not found anything, so I
apologise if this has been asked before.

I've been using GnuCash for my personal finances now for a couple of years.
I understand that double entry is overkill for personal finances, but I
work in accountancy so prefer the practice!

Up until recently everything was working great. I was exporting QIF files
from my bank and credit card provider and importing them in and then
basically assigning accounts to transactions it didn't pick up
automatically.

Recently I've changed credit card provider, and while they support QIF
files all of the transactions are coming across as negative values. Both
accounts are set up as Credit Card accounts, and the QIF files both start
with !Type:CCard, but all of the spending transactions on my old account
were negative, and on the new one they're positive.

Here is the first transaction from each (with header)

Old:
!Type:CCard
D10/06/2014
N4112
PEC MAINLINE CO OTH     YORK 8542
T-3.80
^

New:
!Type:CCard
D17/11/2014
PASDA  STORES 5869      KEIGHLEY      GBR
T15.86
^

Is there a way to import these correctly, or am I going to have to contact
my new bank, try and tell them they're doing it wrong, and write a script
to swap the sign of the amounts over.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew