What do you do with old uncleared transactions?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue May 12 16:10:55 EDT 2015

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 6:56 AM, Maf. King <maf at chilwell.net> wrote:

> On Tue 12 May 15 12:22:15 Adam Funk wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a few transactions in bank & credit card accounts that are a
> > few years old but uncleared --- a check that never got cashed, & some
> > credit card purchases that have never appeared on statements.  What do
> > the rest of you do with such things?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Adam
> >

> Hi Adam
>
> In the case of an uncleared (presumably lost) cheque, I've voided the
> transaction before now
>
> Would probably do the same with a credit card txn that never went through.
> Deleting the tnx feels 'wrong' to me.

I agree on the checks -- here in Arkansas, USA, checks are legally void
after 12 months, so theoretically the bank won't honor an older one. Other
states may have different rules. I would tend to void old check
transactions in GnuCash rather than deleting them, especially if I don't
know what became of the original.

Over the years I have had a few credit card transactions that failed to
process, and I have NEVER seen one go through more than a few days after
the appropriate closing statement, so I usually investigate them (most of
the time the extra transactions are errors on my part) and then either void
or delete them, depending on how I feel at the moment.