Initial setup questions for a small non-profit membership startup (UK)

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu May 14 10:06:49 EDT 2015

>> Hi folks. I'm sort of starting out with this sort of company, which is a
>> non-profit membership organisation.

  Just want to point something out. While handling the "membership" part
of non-profits (and the problem of amounts that are legally receivable
and others that are voluntary payments and the reality that members may
WANT to receive invoices/statements and the organization to track who is
current or behind in dues) it might seem that gnucash is deficient. We
have to improvise, use "workarounds", etc.

No, not in comparison with any of the alternatives that I am aware of.
The commercial products supposedly supporting non-profits (say
QuickBooks Pro for Non-profits) pretty much share the deficiencies. The
market for software designed specifically to  support non-profits is too
small to get the design work done by the commercial accounting software
players.

Michael D Novack

PS: I'd advise the original poster (setting up for a new non-profit) to
first analyze what reports are going to be necessary, then what basis
and account structure would support that, plus what playing
around/adjusting to produce necessary reports that this structure won't
produce. Then pick the least onerous alternative. Don't immediately
discard the possibility of more than one set of books. If the
organization's basis is cash but you need the business features for
extensive "membership accounting" and membership invoicing that COULD be
the least onerous alternative --- I know all the headaches of trying to
do that within one set of books (using gnucash, QuickBooks Pro, whatever).