Documentation files Missing on GnuCash.org

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri May 15 05:43:57 EDT 2015

On Thursday 14 May 2015 18:09:32 John Ralls wrote:
> > On May 14, 2015, at 8:11 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> >
> > John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
> >
> > [snip]

> >> More like “didn’t know about” than “forgotten”. That’s a bit of a
> >> hole in our procedure: How can we flag new files in the docs so
> >> that they’re visible to the release tech when transferring them
> >> from gnucash-docs to gnucash-htdocs-docs?
> >
> > "git status"??  Assuming of course we don't have an overly grabbing
> > .gitignore.
> >
> > Or just always run "git commit -a" in the gnucash-htdocs-docs?
>
> `git commit -a` is what I did. It operates only on mods to files
> already known to git. New files must be explicitly added to the index
> with `git add`.

Indeed.

I sometimes do
git add -u
followed by
git add -A
before committing.

The first one adds file modifications and file deletions (for files
already known to git) to the index. The second then adds any new files.

> `git status` should show new files as long as they aren’t explicitly
> listed in .gitignore. Running git status and git add v2.6 is part of
> the procedure in
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Documentation_Release_Process, so either
> I screwed up and didn’t do it or it doesn’t work. I’ll have to look
> at my local htdocs-docs repo when I get back on Monday to know which.

For a test I did use the commands on the wiki page as well (particularly
"git add v2.6"). On my system that command does include the new files.
If it doesn't on your local system it may be worth checking if system
has a different git version or different git options set that would make
git add <dir> ignore new files. On my system git is at version 2.1.0.

Regards,

Geert