FW: Import QIF files from Quicken

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue May 19 07:46:26 EDT 2015

On 5/18/2015 7:01 AM, Brian Harris wrote:
> Is anyone able to help please?
>

>   _____

Andrew,

You have chosen to put the export from Quicken into the same directory
that GnuCash uses for it's program files.  Windows does not like that,
and you shouldn't either.  You should keep your data files in a
sub-directory of "My Documents" named something obvious like "\My
Documents\AndrewHomeGnuCashData\2015Data\" similar to the way your
document and spreadsheet programs store your documents and spreadsheets.

Then you could put your Quicken exports into a subdirectory of that so
that the particular example that you show could be named "\My
Documents\AndrewHomeGnuCashData\QuickenExport2015\AndrewHSBC Current
30-01-2015 to 06-06-2015.QIF"  Then name other exports similarly so that
you can identify the Quicken source data file name, accounts and date
ranges that they include.

If it happens that you have put data files into that program directory,
you should change Windows Explorer to show hidden files and directories
and show file extensions, then move all of your data files and GnuCash
.log files and automatic backup files to your new data file directory.
In Windows you can double-click a GnuCash data file to open it with
GnuCash, but do not use that method to select import files.

David C