finding a deleted reconciled transaction

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed May 20 14:32:52 EDT 2015

ihf <irafuchs at gmail.com> writes:

> I have the warning turned on which is it all the more puzzling and having had
> a similar problem years ago , I am very wary about changing a reconciled
> transaction. Fortunately, it was only one transaction so it was possible to
> find it in the log and it was from 3 weeks ago and not years ago. A log
> dedicated to altered/deleted reconciled transactions would be helpful as a
> backup to the warning.

Reconciling a transaction really only reconciles one split of a
transaction.  When you're in the reconciled account gnucash will attempt
to prevent you from modifying or deleting reconciled transactions.
However if you attempt to edit it from the other side gnucash will not
stop you from modifying or deleting it.  So perhaps you deleted it from
the other side.

Another possibility is that when gnucash popped up the "are you sure?"
dialog you said yes.

Regardless, I'm glad you found the errant transaction.