Problems Running gnuCash in Mint 17.2

Allan allanhasmail at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 23:45:52 EST 2015

On 11/02/2015 10:12 PM, Plutocrat wrote:
> Interesting:
>
> Allan wrote on Tuesday, 03 November, 2015 11:43 AM:
>> Often there is a kind of CPU lock out where the system gets so slow, mouse movements might take several minutes to update, switch to tty1/console and root login to reboot, takes several minutes between entries user/pw/reboot.
>> I also suspect Firefox because it does strange things too which lead to instabilities/huge memory usage i.e. 16 GB/Cinnamon crashes/freezes.
> While I haven't had any problems at all with any version of Gnucash on either Mint 17.1 or Mint 17.2, I have had problems with Firefox, which exhibits the symptoms you describe above. Particularly when looking at Facebook. Thought I might just check with the original poster: is Firefox running when you experience Gnucash being slow?

Actually, I don't ever experience GC being slow. It's the whole machine.
And yes, Firefox is always running. I confess I beat on things really
bad. But it IS a Dell T3500 (Passmark of something like 5000, not a slow
machine) with 12 GB ram (8 GB free at the moment). I run 8 (or 12)
things at once with 20 tabs in Firefox (or even 40). I don't look at
Facebook unless I really HAVE to/rarely, :-)    A few times I've slowly
gotten into System Monitor (which also always runs, lol) during a freeze
out and seen 50% CPU available, 6 GB RAM free, so I don't get it.

Allan