Help : gnucash won't start

Plutocrat plutocrat at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 04:48:19 EST 2015

kevin wrote on Friday, 06 November, 2015 06:39 AM:
> Recently I had problems with my linux desktop. It wasn't starting the GUI . I then decided to switch from lightdm to gdm. Therefore , I recovered the GUI when I started gnucash I showed the tips window and the splash screen but after the splash screen the app suddenly and mysteriously stops.

I'd be willing to guess that you have one confused linux box there with all those desktop environments installed! I'd be very tempted to backup your /home/xxxx directory and reinstall. But even that might not work as the problem may lie in the config files in your home directory.

OK, a couple of things to try:

1) Make a new user. Login as that user and try running gnucash there. If it runs there, then probably you've got something conflicting in your user profile directory. Then its a case of removing directories, starting gnucash, replacing directories, to figure out where the problem is. eg .gnucash directory .config/xxx directory etc etc etc. It will take a while.

2). Start gnucash from the command prompt / terminal. Do you see any errors that give you a clue what is going wrong?

3) Logfiles. Try these options for starting gnucash from the command line
  --debug                                Enable debugging mode: increasing logging to provide deep detail.
  --extra                                Enable extra/development/debugging features.
  --log                                  Log level overrides, of the form "log.ger.path={debug,info,warn,crit,error}"
  --logto                                File to log into; defaults to "/tmp/gnucash.trace"; can be "stderr" or "stdout".

eg. gnucash --logto ~/glog.log

P.