Toolbar buttons suddenly disabled

AC gnucash at acarver.net
Sun Nov 15 17:48:14 EST 2015

On 2015-11-15 13:58, David Carlson wrote:
> On 11/15/2015 6:08 AM, Robert Kesterson wrote:
>> Mine grays out the buttons while it is auto-saving, which takes a few
>> seconds.  Maybe yours is getting stuck saving?
>>
>>> AC <mailto:gnucash at acarver.net>
>>> November 14, 2015 at 11:04 PM
>>> Ok, running 2.6.3, no major issues until now. I usually leave it up and
>>> running so I can avoid the startup delay and add entries as needed.
>>> However, very recently (within the past couple weeks) all the toolbar
>>> buttons would suddenly gray out and become disabled. I was able to
>>> switch from account to account using the tabs but I could not enter
>>> transactions, open splits, or do anything else. It looked like the
>>> identical menu options had become disabled, too.
>>>
>>> I have to shut down and restart GC to bring back the buttons.
>>>
>>> No recent changes to the computer (in fact the computer hasn't been
>>> rebooted in several months).
>>

> As Robert states, the program does become unresponsive when doing an
> autosave or when doing certain other behind-the -scenes activities. If
> the problem seems to be triggered by a certain input activity, there may
> be a specific area to look for a solution.
> I have had similar problems on my Windows 7 machine from time to time
> that I think has usually been caused by a different program such as
> Firefox hogging resources.  Usually the entire machine gets sluggish at
> the same time.  Rebooting fixes it for me.  If you are using a windows
> machine you should consider updating to release 2.6.9 unless you are
> bothered by the multiple currency issue that it has.
>
> There is a possibility that you may have some other OS issue.  If your
> machine is a Windows machine, you might be eligible for the Guinness
> book of records for time between re-boots.  Try re-booting.

I'm aware of the response time due to autosave but in this case it's not
performing an autosave at the particular time that the buttons gray out.
 This is new behavior that hasn't been happening before and autosave has
been enabled for quite a while.  I can leave the window open for 20-30
minutes and the buttons are still gray.  Autosave (or manual save for
that matter) typically only take five seconds to complete.  I also have
64 GB of RAM available so every program has plenty of memory to use
without bogging down (I do use Firefox frequently but it is a 32-bit
program running on a 64-bit system so it can only address up to 4 GB of
the available RAM.)

My longest time between reboots has been three months.  I didn't have
this problem during those times but I'll go ahead and try it once I'm
finished with everything else I'm doing.  I run the enterprise version
of Windows 7 so that I can strip out most non-essential items.  It makes
things much more stable.