Scheduled Transaction - unusual case

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Fri Nov 20 11:19:37 EST 2015

On 11/20/2015 4:03 AM, Maf. King wrote:
> On Thu 19 November 15 22:40:09 listreader wrote:
>> Howdy...
>>
>> I own a security that pays a monthly dividend on the next-to-last
>> Thursday of every month.  No, I don't know why they chose that schedule
>> but that is what it is.  Besides scheduling each month individually in
>> GnuCash, is there any way to better automate it?
>>
>> GnuCash is 2.6.4 running under linux (openSUSE 13.2).
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Ralph
> Hi Ralph,
>
> I don't think GC will let you create this sort of schedule, how about you set
> it to happen on say 20th of the month and either manually tweak the date after
> it has been created, or just live with a +/- 3 day discrepancy between your
> records and those of the security?
>
> HTH,
> Maf.
Probably the best way. In my working days I designed a "calendar
program" for one of the world's largest financials. The problem is much
more difficult than at first appears and THIS particular problem a
perfect example of why. You say the rule is "next to last Thursday of
each month" but I would be willing to bet that is NOT a completely
correct description of the rule.

There can be five Thursday's in a  month, and when that month is
November, the next to the last is Thanksgiving, a holiday on which
bank's don't do business, yes? In that case, when do they do it? Day
before? Day after? (originally Thanksgiving was the last Thursday in
November, but that changed to 4th Thursday in 1942).

Michael D Novack