Check & repair - many trading account imbalances

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Nov 27 13:52:10 EST 2015

> On Nov 26, 2015, at 6:30 PM, kyomar <markus1611 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks a lot John for your prompt reply - much appreciated. I have tried your
> well described suggestion (didn't know about right click and edit exchange
> rate - always learning) but it doesn't work (entered correct amount). It
> always comes back to the same result. I noticed that the exchange rates
> shown in the edit window are totally wrong i.e.:
> 1 JPY = 82.576.. AUD
> 1 AUD =  0.012.. JPY
> but it should be the other way around:
> 1 JPY = 0.012.. AUD
> 1 AUD =  82.576.. JPY
> I have checked the fraction setting in currency JPY and it's correct 1/1.
> Could it be that the autofill function messes things up? How can I delete
> the autofill memory/cache? Or are there any other solutions to solve this
> problem, which haunts me already for quite a while (always having problems
> with transactions involving foreign currencies).
> Thanks a lot for your valuable time and help,
> Markus

Did you fix the rate in the Transfer Dialog (that’s the name of the dialog that comes up when you click “edit exchange rate”)?

Yes, it’s quite possible that autofill messes things up, but you should be able to un-mess them as long as you don’t let GnuCash create the trading splits until you’ve got the other splits correct.

Try using 735.97 in both splits after deleting the trading splits. Edit the exchange rate, select the amount radio button, and set 60774 in the amount edit. That’s the way you’d do the transaction without trading accounts. I thought that just having trading accounts enabled flipped the logic so that you enter the JPY amount in the JPY split, but perhaps I’m mistaken.

Regards,
John Ralls