Struggling with Invoicing Prepaid Service

John A Brown johnbrowngreybeard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 20:57:03 EDT 2015

In the solution above there still exists an 650.00 obligation (liability)
to pay the sales tax and 650.00 in the bank account received when the
customer paid. When you pay the sales tax, it reduces the sales tax
liability and also reduces the bank account. Thus the sales tax passed
through you accounting system without affecting your balance sheet equity
or your profit and loss (revenue and expenses). If you treated it as "sales
tax revenue" and "sales tax expense" it would increase both revenue and
expenses. The US forms for sales tax request a revenue figure and then
multiplies the revenue times sales tax percent and you owe the tax
authority the resulting figure. So it is best not to record the sales tax
as revenue as you could conceivably be paying sales tax on sales tax
revenue.

HTH

Kind Regards