Need better documentation on using Lots [Was: Chapter 8 - investment accounts]

Philip Walden pcwalden at comcast.net
Wed Sep 9 14:19:08 EDT 2015

David Carlson wrote:
> Philip,
>
> When I asked "Does it zero out the value of the security asset account
> that held the
> security before it was sold" I was not referring to any transaction or
> record, whatever that might be.  I meant to ask "does the sum of all
> currency into and out of the now empty security account equal zero?"
> You can answer that question by running a balance report on that
> account alone and see if both the number of shares is zero and the
> unrealized gain shown at the end of the report is also zero.
I am not much of a gnc aficionado and my grasp of nomenclature is
somewhat weak.

I am having trouble finding a "Balance Report" for the "stock" account.
I see a global "Reports>Assets > Balance Sheet" report, but no Balance
Report" for a specific account. I see only a "Reports > Account" report.

If you can point me to the right report, I can build a dummy account and
test it. My working account has a non-zero number of stocks.

> The Show Lots dialog should be generating a transaction or series of
> transactions that drives the unrealized gain to zero.  Those
> transaction(s) should (I presume) be the ones that are also generating
> the orphaned gains that need to be re-assigned to the correct Capital
> Gains(Income) account(s) to be linked to the proper brokerage account
> at tax time.
It is generating orphaned gains and I am re-assigning them to short or
long term gains.

> Then my next question was whether Show Lots dialog includes the
> brokerage charges in those orphaned gains.  If it does, it must be
> separately transferring those expenses from some other account to the
> orphaned gains account, because they cannot come out of the security
> asset account unless the user has chosen to bury commissions
> altogether, and only use net amounts.  In either case, we should know
> how it works to be sure that our results are correct.
As far as I can tell, it does not include brokerage charges in the
orphaned gains. I have been adding them in the stock sale split and the
generated orphaned gain appears to take the brokerage charges in the
sale split into account.

> Using only net (including commissions) amounts works, if it is done
> consistently, but the trade-off is that GnuCash does not show the
> actual trade price in the buy and sell transactions. Other threads in
> this list and the Dev list have made it abundantly clear that many
> users want the price to be shown accurately, even if it does not work
> out exactly due to rounding errors.
Yes, I have been doing it this way as my brokerage does not report
commissions very clearly. Yes, it does affect the stock price history,
but their commission fees are low and I am not that fussy. I guess you
cannot have it both ways.

> By the way, using only net amounts makes for simpler (less detailed)
> transactions in GnuCash and gets you closer to seeing numbers that
> match what your broker will report in the 1099 to the IRS.
Exactly.

> Which method works better for you?
Skipping commissions and using net works for me most of the time. Last
year I had the situation of recording a large stock option
exercise-with-immediate-sell. The commission was significant enough that
I could not ignore it.