Password protection of GnuCash data file

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 08:11:50 EDT 2015

On 9/17/2015 2:20 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 16 September 2015 at 23:44, David Carlson
> <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 9/16/2015 3:25 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>>> I don't believe that is true assuming one is using WPA2 and a good password.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>> .
>>>
>> If you go to youtube and search for cracking wireless routers using
>> wpa2,  there are several videos claiming that it can be done in seconds
>> with a poor password, maybe an hour or two if it has a very good
>> password.
> Obviously with a poor password it is correct that it can be broken by
> a brute force dictionary attack.  With a good password I believe this
> is not the case.  Can you provide an authoritative links indicating
> otherwise?  It may come as a surprise to you but my belief is that not
> everything on youtube should be taken at face value.
>
> Colin

We, as individuals do not have the resources or the desire to verify
most of the claims that are out there on the Internet.  My point is that
we are always taking risks and we should be prudent when we know ways to
reduce them.
I was merely pointing out that some defenses are not as secure as one
might think.

The stories about Stuxnet successfully destroying centrifuges in Iraq,
whether true or not, make one think twice about exposing his or her data
to the Internet.  By the way, my field of expertise is industrial
control and I find the Stuxnet claims plausible and likely true or close
enough to be very scary.

David C