Budget Reporting Issues

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Mon Sep 28 03:26:56 EDT 2015

On Sunday 27 September 2015 18:09:43 David T. wrote:
> 5) Thank you for pointing out the default Budget option under File
> Properties. ***Could a developer please explain why there are GnuCash
> preferences filed in two different locations?*** I don’t understand
> how this could make sense.

Yes, that I can do :)

The File Properties are settings that are for this particular book only. The Edit
Preferences are global settings which will apply to all books you would create. Many
users only have one book, so for them there's no real difference.

I realize this is confusing for some people. Thinking about it we should perhaps
move the menu option File->Properties to the Edit menu right below or above the
Preferences option and call it "Book Properties" ?

Regards,

Geert