issue with "Opening Balance" account in Equity

photoworks photographyworks at aim.com
Mon Apr 4 12:54:47 EDT 2016

Hello,

I have an issue with the set up of my budget account.

I have followed the instruction stated on the page :
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/txns-puttoget1.html

However, contrary to what is explained and show on that page, when I follow
the following steps, the balance in the /Equity:Opening Balance/ account
shows *-1,500.00* instead of *1,500.00*. Is it normal? Is there anything
that I am not doing right?

"/Open the Assets:Savings account register. Select View from the menu and
check to make sure you are in Basic Ledger style. You will view your
transactions in the other modes later, but for now let’s enter a basic
transaction using the basic default style.

>From the Assets:Savings account register window, enter a basic 2 account
transaction to set your starting balance to $1000, transferred from
Equity:Opening Balance. Remember, basic transactions transfer money from a
source account to a destination account. Record the transaction (press the
Enter key, or click on the Enter icon).

>From the Assets:Checking account register window, enter a basic 2 account
transaction to set your starting balance to $1000, transferred from
Equity:Opening Balance.

>From the Liabilities:Visa account register window, enter a basic 2 account
transaction to set your starting balance to $500, transferred from
Equity:Opening Balance. This is done by entering the $500 as a charge in the
Visa account (or decrease in the Opening Balance account), since it is money
you borrowed. Record the transaction (press the Enter key, or click on the
Enter icon)./"

I would really appreciate any advice on this issue.

Thank you.