how to automatically update equity account as each transaction is entered?

Michael Wagner mikepwagner at mikepwagner.net
Wed Apr 13 12:45:11 EDT 2016

I have to tell you that - as a complete neophyte who learned something
about double entry bookkeeping to be able to use gncash a year ago - I am
pretty amazed at the ease simplicity, and elegance of double entry
bookkeeping.

To my mind, the computer (mediated by the gnucash developers) relieves all
the tedium and handle my numerical challenges.

The hardest thing for me was to let go of the political definition of
"debit" as "debt, something bad".

Here's the way I think of, and it's really the simplest algebra:

Assets = Liabilities + Equiity

Equity = Capital + Income - Expenses

Since no one invested (financially) in me, for me:

Assets = Liabilities + (Income - Expenses)

Now I add Expenses to both sides - that's the only algebra required:

Assets + Expenses = Liabilities + Income

The hard part is just letting go of my intuitive definition of "debit" as
"debt, something bad". If I look at the equation and think "everything on
the left side of equation is increased by a debut, and everything on the
right side of the equation is increased by a credit", I'm done. That's all
the "long, agonizing formal or at least informal study" to use gnuscash
(and I don't think that I really even needed to know that).

I will grant you that applying those concepts in more advanced transactions
might be conceptually challenging. But it makes sense to me that if I was
accounting for more advances transactions, I might be motivated to learn a
little more.

The problem that made me understand the elegance and simplicity of double
entry bookkeeping was a pretty simple problem: like a lot of people (in the
US), I have a tax advantaged account called a "529 plan" that I use to save
for my daughter's education. Since she was born, I have written checks to
the 529 plan, and now that she's in college, I take transfer money from the
529 plan to my checking account, and write out a check for her college.

Believe it or not, it's pretty hard to capture that flow in Quicken - or
even in a spreadsheet. I've tried. The core of flow is that money is really
moving from my checking account to educational expenses - the 529 plan is
in essence only an intermediary.

With double entry bookkeeping, it's simple, elegant and crystal clear.
Forget which is a debit and which is a credit right now - gnucash worries
about that.

1) "Write a check to the 529 plan" means "Decrease checking account balance
- Increase 529 plan balance."
2) "Transfer money from the 529 plan to my checking account" means
 "Increase checking account balance, decrease 529 plan balance."
3) "Write out check to college" means " "Decrease checking account balance,
increase educational expenses balance."

This seems to me to be amazingly simple and elegant. Trying to trace the
money flow with something like Quicken which really just decorates deposits
and withdrawals with "categories" is hard - it doesn't preserve the
relationships between the accounts.

As a non-accountant, I am pretty amazed at the simplicity and elegance of
double entry bookkeeping.

Mike

--
“The bassoon is one of my favorite instruments. It has a medieval aroma,
like the days when everything used to sound like that. Some people crave