Help with GNUCASH for some transaction options

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 16 11:06:32 EST 2016

Hi,

DaveC49 <davidcousens at bigpond.com> writes:

> Hi Derek,
>
> While on the subject of A/R and A/P and the business features, if I were to
> create subaccount of these tagged by an individaul custome/vendor do the
> business features still work using the subaccounts or are they designed
> around  single A/R and A/P accounts? I am thinking particularly of the
> ageing reports.

They system is designed to have a single A/R (and a single A/P) per
currency.  If you have multiple accounts for the same currency then you
need to ensure, MANUALLY, that you post invoices and payments to the
correct account.  Also, the aging report (and indeed all the business
reports) will only report on a single A/* account.

> My guess which I have not yet tested is that one can select the individual
> sub-account and prepare the report for that, but selecting the top level A/R
> or A/P account might not necessarily include any sub accounts. But is my
> guess right?

Your guess is correct.  It will only report on a single A/* account.

> (I have in the past in other software had sub accounts of A/R and A/P which
> is useful as the Accounts tab/list can give you a quick picture of what the
> totals of the outstanding payables and receivables are without having to
> generate a report.)

Reports are a good thing.  You should use them :)