Bookkeeping Question - Credit Against Future Charges

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Sun Dec 18 15:55:52 EST 2016

Hi Benjamin,
  I'm not an accountant, but I'll give you my thoughts anyway.

  This credit you received is never income. You paid for a service from your landlord (a working phone system), but did not receive that service. This credit is the landlord's way of making up for that payment. Therefore, I would balance the opening balance of your prepaid credit account against the expense account you normally use for your rent of the suite or the phone system or whatever you normally pay to the landlord. In effect, you have paid less for your rent and you will pay in the future for your use of the conference room by using up some of the credit you received from the landlord.

Best,
John