Advanced Portfolio Income (maybe Brokerage Fees too) incorrect in switch and multiple investments transactions

Alberto Dante alberto.dante at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 05:45:32 EST 2016

First of all, note that I've put all my investment operations (fee,
capital gain, dividend, ...) into Income accounts (Income:Finance:...),
so I can have the net finance balance directly, and I can compare
different types of Income (Job, Finance, ...) in a glance.
Simply, my account tree is something like that:

Assets
         Current Assets
                 Cash
                 Checking
                         Bank ABC
         Investment
                 Broker DEF
                         Mutual Fund
                                 FUND 1
                                 FUND 2
                                 FUND 3
                                 FUND 4
Income
         Job
         Finance
                 Investment
                         Broker DEF
                                 Mutual Fund
                                         FUND 1
                                                 Capital gain
                                                 Dividend
                                                 Fee / Commission
                                         FUND 2
                                         FUND 3
                                         FUND 4

Therefore, in Advanced Portfolio report I have not-zero values only in
Income column, while Brokerage Fees column has all zero values.
So I couldn't check Brokerage Fees column values in Advanced Portfolio,
but I think it would be affected by the same problem.
I've found two situations causes incorrect Income column values in
Advanced Portfolio Report:

1) Switch Investments

When switching e.g. from FUND 1 (sell) to FUND 2 (buy) (without
involving Bank ABC account), generally you have to pay fees (e.g. 5,00
Euro) charged to FUND 2, while FUND 1 doesn't have any fee (sell is for
free); total fee = 5,00 Euro.
In this case Advanced Portfolio income column charges 5,00 Euro both to
FUND 1 and FUND 2; total fee = 10,00 Euro.

2) Multiple Investments

With just one operation (one transfer from Bank ABC account) you buy two
funds FUND 3 and FUND 4, paying 8,00 Euro fee each; total fee = 16,00 Euro.
In this case Advanced Portfolio income column charges 16,00 Euro both to
FUND 1 and FUND 2; total fee = 32,00 Euro.

Please note that all totals in account tree (mainly Income:Finance:...)
are always correct; other column values in Advanced Portfolio report
seems to be correct too.

Moreover:
- Basis column how is calculated (when, after multiple buy operations,
you have a total sell and a new buy again)? Does Advanced Portfolio
recognize the total sell before the last buy?
- I calculate capital gain manually; how is it possible to find it
automatically? Realized gain column does it already or uses my manually
calculated values?

Thanks, Alberto