Change to mortgage P&I caused by extra payment

JimR KD1YV at oneyv.org
Thu Dec 22 22:12:59 EST 2016

Longtime GNUCash user, I could not get my mortgage principal and
interest from the "Mortgage and Loan Repayment" to match exactly what my
bank was reporting.

Earlier this year, I refinanced my mortgage with the same bank. This
amounted to paying out the old mortgage, and creating a brand new one.
I was thrilled that for months, it was matching to the penny.  Then I
went to the bank and made an additional payment directly against the
outstanding principal.  After that, the GNUCash M&LR figures no longer
match.  It seems that this extra principal payment has the effect of
adjusting my monthly payments so that more of each subsequent months'
payment goes against the outstanding principal and less against the
interest.

However, my "Mortgage and Loan Repayment" in GNUcash does not recognize
this.  What is the correct process to make this work? Do I have to
delete the saved template in the M&LR template, and enter a new one with
the adjusted outstanding principal?  I try to make these extra payments
once a year, so that would be a bit of a pain.

Suggestions?

--
JimR