Migration Issue

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 15:11:52 EST 2016

When replying to this list it is necessary to use Reply To or Reply
List, otherwise the reply goes just to the previous poster.  I am
forwarding to the list for reference, see also my comments below.

On 7 February 2016 at 19:24, Robert Burns <rebburns at zoomtown.com> wrote:
> Thanks Colin for your quick reply, I appreciate it. You are right, I was looking in the wrong place [.gnucash\books] for the accounts. I did not know the difference between the .gcm files and the accounts file. The account is in C: Users\Robert Burns\Bob & Mary Personal Accounts.gnucash. There are many log files there along with the .LCK file. Also, there is a file Bob & Mary Personal Accounts.gnucash.20160201190420.gnucash; Is that the backup file with the timestamp?

Yes, that is the backup 1st Feb at 1904.

> I assume that what I need to do is to delete the previous files from Dropbox and replace them with the Bob & Mary Personal Accounts.gnucash file from the ~\Robert Burns file and the .LCK file. Do I have to move the other file with the number string in the middle?

The best thing is to open the file in gnucash as usual and do File >
Save As and browse to the dropbox folder and save it there.  I suggest
changing the name at the same time to avoid confusion with the
original.  The next time you open gnucash it should automatically use
the one in the dropbox folder and will automatically put a lock file
there.  It will also put new backup files there.  On the new machine
just open the file in the dropbox folder once it appears there and off
you go.  Just remember not to open it on both machines at the same
time.

Also make sure you have independent backups of the accounts file
somewhere.  In fact, if you have not already got a backup, then do
that before doing anything else.  Remember a disc can go up in smoke
(literally or metaphorically) at any time.

> Also, does it matter that the new computer file path [c:users\REB\to the account is different than the old computer[c:\users\Robert Burns\] path?

No, just open the file wherever it is.

Colin