Upgrading

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 13:21:46 EST 2016

On 12 February 2016 at 17:25, Richard Barmann <dick at stripingthetown.com> wrote:

> On 02/12/2016 12:13 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 12 February 2016 at 16:59, Richard Barmann <dick at stripingthetown.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have the 2.6.6. I downloaded the upgrade file. What is the best way to
>>> extract and install the 2.11.
>>
>> Nobody will be able to answer that unless you tell us which operating
>> system you are using (Ubuntu, OS/X, whatever).  Which download file
>> have you downloaded?  What is it called and where did you download it
>> from?  There is no 2.11 by the way.
>>
>> Colin
>
> I am sorry I did not enter all that was needed. I downloaded
> gnucash-2.6.11.tar.bz2 from the Gnucash page. My OS is Kubuntu 15.10. Isn't
> there a way to move this into Synaptic and install? I do not know how to get
> the repository.

You have downloaded the source file set, which you would have to build
yourself.  Easier, probably, is to get it from getdeb.  If you first
uninstall gnucash (that will not damage your accounts file, but in any
case you have of course got it well backed up just in case) then
install the latest from http://www.getdeb.net/software/gnucash.  I
think if you just click Install Now from there it should do the
business.  Alternatively you can setup getdeb as a software repository
(instructions are on their website no doubt) then you will
automatically get updates from there as they appear.  The disadvantage
of this is that you may also get new versions of other packages that
getdeb has on their system, which may not be what you want.  If that
does not worry you then go that route.

Colin