GnuCash + Dolibarr as a Stock, Order Processing and other ERP / CRM combination

Wm tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 20 20:06:44 EST 2016

I've been playing around with Dolibarr today and the fit with gnc is
sufficiently good that I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned on the
lists or wikis before.

Things that "just seem right":

Dolibarr is an ERP / CRM *without* an accounting function! [1]  Yup, you
read that right.  And what has GnuCash got?  All the accounting bits and
not much to speak of in the ERP / CRM stakes.

As a result of that Dolibarr has really good export and import
facilities because it isn't designed to feed its own accounting
function, it expects to talk to the outside world.

Fun fact: you can use gnc account codes for Sales and Purchases inside
Dolibarr so when you export and import Invoices for example it just works.

I think it may even be possible to have it export a file on a daily /
weekly / monthly basis in a known format so importing business
transactions into GnuCash shouldn't be much more trouble than getting
stock quotes or bank transactions once a workflow is established.

License: GNU/GPLv3

Model: client / server, SQL backend, browser interface, a bit ahead of
gnc some might suggest.

Install size about the same as gnc and the actual install on windows for
a potentially complex package was really good.  I was expecting to have
to tweak a db server setting here or there and didn't have to.

Performance on my "not best of class" Win8.1 laptop is more than
acceptable and much better than the other self-contained ERP / CRM
projects I've tried over the last week or so.

Sourceforge d/l per week are over 2K for the Win package and over 1.5K
for the DIY / non-Win versions, so it is certainly not man-and-dog usage
and that shows in the general feel of the thing too.

Links
http://www.dolibarr.org/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dolibarr/files/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolibarr

[1] from wiki "Dolibarr includes all the important features of an
ERP/CRM suite, except for accountancy"

--
Wm ...