GnuCash Budget-related question

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Fri Jan 8 09:16:54 EST 2016

On 1/8/2016 7:35 AM, David T. wrote:
> Michael,
>
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/chapter_other_assets.html
>
> Additions and suggestions are always welcome (as I am not much of a
> user of the budget features, I do not consider that I should attempt
> to add to this section).
>
> David

But that is precisely what I was talking about (generalized confusion).

  What was being asked for, so called "envelope budgeting", is a
process, and in spite of the "budget" in its name would not be part of
the "budget features" of gnucash. Just the standard set of books set up
and used in a particular way.

And I was further trying to describe the difference between "manuals"
(what our guides so far are) and a "user guide" (which we don't have,
although we do have an introduction to double entry bookkeeping).

Envelope budgeting ---- guide section would be how to set up your CoA
and how to enter transactions to enable this aid to keeping expenses
"within budget" (plan). Might have to stress "do not look at the
"budgeting features" of gnucash for this, though might have some use for
this features in the PLANNING phase (use results to establish the
envelope amounts).

Michael