Online quotes works for stock but not for currencies

James E jimmy142 at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Jul 2 08:02:21 EDT 2016

I have used Gnucash  for two years in Windows XP .   My old PC   is failing
so bought a new desktop   Dell   which had  Ubuntu 12.04  pre-installled.
1  I then installed  Gnucash 2.4.10 from the Ubunto  Software Centre .  I
could not get the  Gnu online quote loader to work properly  - It would
load stock quotes but not currency quotes .

I then removed  2.4.10    and reinstalled it from the Ubunto Software Centre
thinking there might be a installation error.   This did not make any
difference.

2  I then  installed " libfinance-yahooquote-perl "   using the  Ubunto
Software Centre ,as   the following site suggested I need  this or something
similar .

http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-help/acct-create.html#Online-price-setup

"GnuCash relies on an external tool to retrieve online quotes. This tool is
a Perl module named “Finance::Quote” and has to be installed on your
computer independently from GnuCash. The first step in enabling online price
updating should thus be to ensure Finance::Quote is properly installed.

To determine if the Perl module Finance::Quote is already installed on your
system, type “perldoc Finance::Quote” in a terminal window and check to see
if there is any documentation available. If you see the documentation, then
the module is installed, if you do not see the documentation, then it has
not been installed.

Installing Finance::Quote differs from one operating system to another. For
the various supported systems, you can follow these guidelines:

    Linux: Most linux distributions (like Fedora, openSuse, Mandriva,
Ubuntu, and so on) have a package in their software repositories for the
Finance::Quote perl module. So in most cases, you can simply use your
preferred package manager (yum, apt, rpm, synaptics, yast,...) to install
the module. The name of the package may vary from one distribution to
another. It’s called often something like “perl-Finance-Quote”.    "

But that did not help .

3 I believe I have  Finance::Quote   version 1.17  installed .

4 Please help.