Online quotes works for stock but not for currencies

Plutocrat plutocrat at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 23:24:36 EDT 2016

Hi James

James E wrote on Tuesday, 05 July, 2016 09:40 PM:
> I very much doubt that the shop in Bahrain would help me upgrade to 16.04 .

Ah, well you mentioned you weren't a Linux whiz, so I thought tapping the services of experts might be a sensible first course of action.

> My Ubunto 12.04 Update Manager  informs me that 14.04 LTS   is available .
> I have read that the upgrade  from 12.04 to 14.04 normally works well  but
> I am a newbie and reluctant to touch anything   as the internet seems full
> of upgrades which have gone wrong .

In reality, there's unlikely to be much that goes wrong, as long as
 1) You backup your home directory. Basically everything under /home/yourusername/ . In Linux everything you need is stored in your home directory. The rest is replaceable.
 2) You have internet access throughout the operation, and optionally another internete connected computer/tablet/phone to look up solutions in the very unlikely event of an emergency.

However there are some changes within Ubuntu between the versions that you might not like. For one, I think this is the version where they introduced Unity, of which I'm not a fan. Some information here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes#Upgrading_from_Ubuntu_12.04_LTS_or_Ubuntu_13.10

I think you're extremely unlikely to have problems upgrading. However if you're not comfortable with the idea, its not urgent, so maybe buy a Linux-using friend a beer sometime and have him sit with you. Or find a local Linux user group? Anyway, this has probably strayed from the topic of gnucash, so feel free to contact me off-list if you have any questions.

> I have also read that  "  sudo gnc-fq-update  "  may help .
> Do you agree?

Not sure where that comes from. gnc-fq-update doesn't seem to exist on my system.
If you're trying to get the latest version, "sudo apt-get update" followed by "sudo apt-get upgrade" will update all the software on your computer which is never a bad idea. And  you should definitely do that before you upgrade, if you decide to.

P.