Tracking cash

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Wed Jul 20 07:35:15 EDT 2016

On 7/19/2016 7:02 PM, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:
> Not familiar with reports, but if your bank accounts and credit cards
> are both children of the same parent that parent account would show
> what you want.
>
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 6:23 AM, Rob Cussons <robcussons at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I wanted to track cash available in my gnucash accounts,  i.e. the sum of
>> the balances of my bank accounts minus my liabilities like credit cards so
>> I can see how they're developing over time. I've tried it through a couple
>> of reports but it's not coming out quite right.
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> Thanks!
They would not be (not in a normal CoA)

You want a SELECTIVE Balance Sheet report just including "current
assets" and "current liabilities" and THAT you can easily set up in your
CoA. You would (or should) already have the parent "current assets" but
perhaps not "current liabilities", but mind that you don't actually need
those NAMES used. Thus if you have a parent "credit cards" of which all
your credit cards are children and you have no other current liabilities
besides credit cards that would do. And mind also, having the parents is
just to simplify the selection statements.

OK, now look at the Balance Sheet report. Do you not see in report
options (Edit => Report Options) a place that allows you to select what
accounts are included?

Michael D Novack

PS: A normal Balance Sheet would be ALL your Asset, Liabilities, and
Equity. For example, a mortgage is a liability, but it isn't a CURRENT
liability as all of it isn't due immediately. A "demand note" would be,
but you probably don't have one of those outstanding.