GnuCash 2.6.13 - No suitable back end was found error on Windows 10 OS

Sachin Perinthalakkat sachinpk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 22:56:16 EDT 2016

Hello All,

Till last week, I was using Gnu Cash 2.6.7 running on Windows 8.1. Then I
upgraded to Windows 10. GnuCash 2.6.7 was still working fine, but
occassionally it hung up the entire system. Yesterday, I found out that
GnuCash was not opening up at all. The initial flash screen appears, and
then the program dies out.

I downloaded gnucash-2.6.13 and attempted to install it. I had manually
removed the GnuCash related folders from the Program filex (x86) directory.
I then installed the Gnu Cash 2.6.13 which got installed smoothly.

Now when I try to open my Gnu Cash account information I am the below error
first - "The file
file://C:\Users\sony\Documents\HomeBudget\HomeBudget2013_2014.gnucash could
not be found". This error is a bit strange, as I have not tried opening
this file any time in the recent past.

I click on "Close", and GnuCash opens up. I now try to open the file which
I am actually interested in. Then I get the below error - "No suitable
backend was found for
file://C:\Users\sony\Documents\HomeBudget\HomeBudget_Apr16_Mar17_v1.0\HomeBudget_Apr16_Mar17_v1.1.gnucash".

Can any one help me please !
Thanks in advance,
Sachin.