Problems with files and reports

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 19:00:38 EST 2016

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 9:25 AM, Derrick Daly <derrickdaly at gmail.com> wrote:

> I’ve been entering about a year’s worth of domestic expenditure
> transactions to analyse our spending patterns. All has been going well
> until a few days ago when I keep getting these two error screens:
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions?
>
> Derrick
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi -- I don't know the answer but first I'm going to type out your error
messages so this will be easier to see in email.

The first image shows the message:
> GnuCash could not obtain the lock for
> file://C:\Users\derri\GNUCASH\Joint Expenditure.gnucash.

This means that GnuCash did not quit normally and then you opened the file
again. When you open it again, as long as there isn't a copy of GnuCash
open somewhere else you would normally choose "Open Anyway" to override the
lock.

The second image shows the message:
> Runtime Error!
> Program C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin\gnucash.exe
> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
way.

Something is causing GnuCash to crash. Hopefully it's something simple,
such as a buggy old version of GnuCash. There probably isn't anything wrong
with your data -- HOWEVER you should right now make sure you have a good
backup (copied to a USB drive or something).

I would ask what operating system you're running, but your email says it's
Windows 10. If you're running GnuCash on a different system with another
version of Windows, please say so.

What version of GnuCash are you running? (The current stable version is
2.6.11.)

Did you download GnuCash using the download links at Gnucash.org, or did
you get it from some other place? (The downloads come from sourceforge, but
I want to ensure you didn't follow some other link to get it from an
unofficial source.)

-----

Please copy the list on any replies