Hayes re: I need a report

Terri Hayes asl4me at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 19:28:54 EST 2016

Katie and Mike Novack...
THANK YOU!...

so... no - it does not have to print...
and I tried immediately the find invoice "is paid?" NOT set true...
and it shows me all the PAID invoices...

tried it several times - is paid?... IS... set true = all paid invoices
is paid?... IS NOT... set true = all paid invoices

so yes! that would have worked great!... but it doesnt work...
sigh (I will write it down and keep an eye on it though - cuz that
might get fixed... )...
it should work.

the rest of what you both said - is the secret that I cannot decipher...
"finding the code for that dialog"
Yes!!!... but ?? HOW??...
same thing goes for that receivables aging report -
If I could figure out how to SEE the code that makes that report - I
could CHANGE that code to show me what I want it to...
but I dont know how to see it...
How do I get to it?

so Mr. Novack says:
>>Also remember, when you need a report, that does not NECESSARILY have to be directly from gnucash (from within gnucash). As long as you can create a report that HAS the necessary information, though not structured the way that you need it, you create THAT report, export it, then sort or otherwise extract and reformat.

and I'm like .. yeah! I even kinda Know this... and I can create a
template for the report I want (in text, and/ or in xml - actually) -
but how do I get the information from inside GNUCash to interact with
my "report" which would then be on the outside of GNUCash?

I hear (in these replies) ... that there apparently is a way to ... do
this... to get inside... "export" (?)... implies "import"...
taking things out - messing them about and putting them back...

but HOW? where do I find the instructions that will let me in...

and indeed: THIS
>>Here the "aging" report was suggested. Yes, it would be grouping by age, not grouping by customer. But as long as customer was part of the data in the aging report, you could resort (say customer, date) to get what you want. The issue then becomes what sorting routines you can access (what operating system are you using? If a 'nix, your shell can probably* do this, even putting in subtotaling at customer break.

THIS is actually what I have been trying to figure out how to do for
the last 20 or 30 hours... (and really for the last couple years... I
just dont have any idea how to get in... so I flail about for 50 or 60
hours and then give up again and go back to getting other things
done...
in my head - its all beautiful - (and actually pretty easy -
but I have looked at Every Single Report (including the "customize"
reports).. and I just dont see where there is any ability for me to
say ... gee this dialog is really limited - what I really want is for
it to do THIS...
and then... open up the back end and make it do that.

anyway -
Thank you Thank you for the idea of the "find" option... it didn't
work -but it got me a whole step forward in the right direction before
I hit the wall again...

and for all the other hopeful stuff... what do I need to search online
to get directions as to how to interact with the ghost behind the
reports?

Thank you for your help
Terri Hayes