Year End Mutual Fund Dividends - Simulating Receivables for Personal Account

Robin Chattopadhyay robinraymn at gmail.com
Tue May 10 18:04:33 EDT 2016

I would just enter the dividend transaction into your account using the
ex-date as the transaction date. The fact that the cash is not yet in your
brokerage account is, then, a reconciliation difference during the period
between the ex-date and the payable date.

There's another benefit to doing it this way besides matching your
1099-DIV... If you're not entering the dividend until you have it in your
brokerage account, your Balance Sheet will be understated because -- it's
especially noticeable for a mutual fund at the end of a year -- the price
of the mutual fund is reduced by the per share amount of the dividend.  So,
in your case, if you have a 0.15 USD/share dividend that went ex- on 12/31
and is payable 1/2, then your market value is short by that $0.15 if you
run a balance sheet as of 12/31.

Robin