Migrating gnucash from OS to Another OS

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Tue May 31 17:10:54 EDT 2016

> Message: 9
> Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 09:32:56 +0200
> From: Johan Scheepers <johansche at telkomsa.net>
> To: gnucash <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
> Subject: Migrating gnucash from OS to Another OS
>
> Good day,
>
> I am used to just copy the following files from linux os to another linux
os...

> Gnucash,     .gnucash,    .gnash
>
> then it runs perfectly.
>
> Now I would like to do the same from linux to windows 10.
> Which files and to where on windows 10.
> Your advice would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Johan

Hi Johan,

There are 3 files you should copy to a new computer (and backup regularly):

1) main data file, usually [BookName].gnucash but you can save it with any
name you wish and just about anywhere you wish.
I suggest you use the .gnucash extension just so you can double click on it
to open in Windows.
Note, for MAC OS/X double clicking on a .gnucash data file opens GnuCash
with the last data file used, NOT the one clicked on.
Maybe your data file has been saved as 'Gnucash' or something.gnash
previously.

2) saved reports:
Linux: /home/[UserName]/saved-reports-2.4
Windows: C:\users\[User_Name]\.gnucash\saved-reports-2.4

3) preferences:
Linux: /home/[User_Name]/.gnucash/books\\[Book_Name].gnucash.gcm
Windows: C:\users\[User_Name]\.gnucash\books\[Book_Name].gnucash.gcm

The saved reports and preferences must go in the specified locations.
I suggest you put the data file in a folder
...\Documents\GnuCash\[Book_Name]\[Book_Name].gnucash
so you don't have any permissions problems and it is usually selected for
backup by most backup programs.
Definitely do NOT put it with the programs in C:\Program Files\...

There is no need to copy across the backup data files GnuCash creates each
time it saves, or the log files.

Please see
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#GnuCash_Files_and_managing_a_GnuCash_instal
lation