Chapter 8 - investment accounts

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Thu Nov 10 19:54:15 EST 2016

> Message: 9
> Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 20:57:02 -0800 (PST)
> From: Jamestk <davidjamestk at hotmail.co.uk>
> To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> Subject: Re: Chapter 8 - investment accounts
>
> Hello again folks,
>
> Revisiting the stock entry debate in case things have been updated. Going
> through the help files as before I noticed many of the tutorial images
seem
> to have been removed, hence my question above.
>
> Example, no screenshots
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-help/stock-split.html
>
> It was too onerous using so many entries for just one transaction but
hoped
> changes maybe afoot.
>
> Cheers and thanks again for such a great program.

Hi David (JamesStk),

Perhaps you're thinking of the Tutorial and Concepts Guide, not the Help
Manual, which does have images?
See
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/invest-splitsnmergers1.htm
l.
(another example of why I'd prefer to have the help and guide combined?)

I have been updating the manuals about using lots for capital gains.
The guide has been updated. It is only in the unstable documentation until
2.6.15 is out. See
http://www.gnucash.org/docs.phtml, Nightly Documentation Builds.

The Help manual has also been updated (Chapter 8. Tools & Assistants, Lots
in Account) but this has yet to be merged into the official repository. This
should happen within a couple of days, going on past history, at which time
it also will be available in the unstable documentation. (Big shout out to
all those who give their time so selflessly - Thank You!)

I still want to update the guide to give examples of selling shares where
the capital gains splits are entered as a separate transaction to the sale
(as needed if using scrubbing).

Thanks for raising this again. I have just gone thru the nabble subject,
there's 2 hours I'll never get back :-), and realise I haven't mentioned (or
tested) commission, and see that John Ralls indicates there may be a problem
with multiple uses of scrubbing (I have tested this but will test again more
thoroughly).

Regards, Chris Good