Problems importing .OXF files - A ?27.00 transaction is lost, so balance is shown ?27.00 higher in GnuCash than the true balance.

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sun Nov 27 15:47:13 EST 2016

On 27 November 2016 at 19:59, Alton Brantley <alton.brantley at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have noticed that sometimes the matching, particularly in recurring
> charges, will match a new transaction to a previously reconciled
> transaction of the same amount to the same vendor.

Yes, that's the case here. Interparcel is a courier company. I tend to book
UPS via them. If I send several parcels to the UK, the chances are the
amounts will be the same. Whilst there's more variation in prices sending
to the USA, quite a few US parcels cost exactly teh same amount. That was
the issue here.

> I would suggest checking whether there is a previous 27.00 transaction.
> Additionally, if you can identify the dropped transaction (check the date
> and amount) and then enter that one transaction by hand, and then
> re-reconcile for the same closing date, you should get your balance back.
>
> I discovered this with the OFX imports, so after I import, I sort the
> transactions in DATE order to make sure all new transactions fall within
> the range of dates I expect.
>
> Also, at least for me, it seems that many banks print the transaction with
> the DTUSER (date of transaction) on their printed statement, but put only
> the DTPOSTED (date the bank posted the transaction) in the OFX file.
>
> That's useful to know.

Dave