Importing Customers and Vendors from Sage Line 50

Wm... wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 20 07:20:00 EDT 2016

On 20/09/2016 01:00, Uttam Chakravorty wrote:
> I am a newbie.  I am not here to document my failures, but only to share what worked for me.  Perhaps it can form the basis for a feature request.  I hope I do not breach any protocols.  Please accept my apology in advance in case I do.
>
> I am in UK and have been using Sage Line 50 for a long time.  I exported the Customer and Supplier list to csv from within the program.
>
> Using Ubuntu I took my first look at GnuCash today.  I noted the default view of Customer/Vendor displays: Company Name, ID, Address1, Address2, Phone.
>
> As this is a learning curve, I decided to do the minimum.  I imported sage outputs into LibreOffice and formatted as follows:
> Column 1 = Company Number / ID
> Column 2 = Company Name
> Column 3 = left blank - couldn't see the point of doing something that may not display
> Column 4 = Town
> Column 5 = Postcode
> Column 6 = Telephone number
>
> When exiting LibreOffice I used Save As ->
> Name = new_name.csv
> Format = Text CSV (.csv)
> Checked the Edit filter settings
> When prompted selected: Use Text CSV format / Field delimiter = comma / Text delimiter = nothing
>
> I then opened the file in Bluefish -> at the end of every line ending with a telephone number I added two commas (a blank field).  The ones without telephone numbers already had blank fields.
>
> I then opened GnuCash -> Import Customer / Vendor -> Chose file -> Selected Customer / Vendor -> selected comma separated.  When I finally got the sequence right, the Preview pane populated straight away.
>
> Maybe someone with the requisite skills could review how the csv files are being parsed?  I wish to thank the team for what it has done so far.
>
> Best regards, Uttam

Hi Uttam, I and a few others are in the UK too.  I have converted from
Sage 50 to GnuCash for a charity though it was a few years ago.

What I am not sure about is what you'd like us to help you with as you
seem to have done the significant bits.

If you have merely written to tell us that you didn't have a problem
then, thank you :)

--
Wm