Importing QFX File

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Sep 24 15:32:49 EDT 2016

> On Sep 24, 2016, at 9:55 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Please use Reply All or Reply List (or similar) when replying to posts
> on this list, otherwise your reply just goes to the previous poster. I
> am forwarding this to the list. See comments below.
>
> On 24 September 2016 at 01:29, Scott Reid <subicpingjockey at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Yes I want to have it automatically open in the program after downloading it from the bank. With Money and Quicken it can be done. Is it possible in GnuCash?
>
> I don't believe so.  If you do this in Quicken I presume it imports
> the data into the accounts file, but how does it know which accounts
> file to import into?
> _

Even if the user has a single account file GnuCash isn't smart enough to recognize that a .qif (or .ofx or .hbci for that matter) is an import format and should be opened with the appropriate import routine. It's an interesting idea and if we had a surplus of development resources would be worth pursuing. Unfortunately we have a scarcity of developers and other features
that are more often requested so we're not able to do anything about that in the foreseeable future.

Regards,
John Ralls