converting liabilities

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 29 13:28:23 EDT 2016

Greg,

Of course you can ask accounting questions here. I think Michael’s point is that how you handle this in GnuCash is dependent on several larger accounting issues, for which he/we cannot offer definitive answers. I will note that Michael’s answers are usually very responsible—if perhaps strongly worded. I will also note that he has more experience with accounting than I ever will.

Saying that, here is my take on his comments. Setting aside option (c) since it is likely not legal, we are left with (a) and (b). Option (b), Michael notes, would be more complicated—more complicated than my experience can illuminate.

In (a), you will have incurred expenses, against which the deposit will be applied. That would be a transaction transferring funds from whatever account you tracked the deposit, into the appropriate expense account.

Does that help at all?

David T.