A bank error I don't know how to fix

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Sun Apr 16 15:08:24 EDT 2017

On 4/16/2017 10:15 AM, Anita Graves wrote:
> Dear GnuCash friends,
>
> I made a mistake in the written form I prepared for a bank deposit.  I did not add it correctly, and I claimed a deposit of 50 cents more than the cash I gave to the teller.  The bank did not notice this and gave me a receipt for the amount I had declared in writing.
>
> Now I have a 50 cent error in my Gnucash file and don’t know how to fix it.
>
> Please help.  Thanks very much,
> Anita Graves
I have a surprising amount of experience with this. To add to the
complexity, because in  the accounts of non-profits, ONE bank, because
it had no policy in place to deal with "small errors made in favor of a
non-profit" put it on the agenda of the board! << and so I had to wait
months for the decision to come down >>

MEANWHILE (until I get a bank error resolved) I have a child account for
"bank error" and that's where the amount goes until finally resolved. In
which case your books will match the bank's pending the second
transaction what will clear the bank error to SOMETHING << what that
transaction will be depends on how resolved >>

Michael D Novack

PS: In your personal books, you can of course be more loose in how you
deal with this.