Trial Balance Report with Investment Transactions

Michael Churchill mjchurchil at aol.com
Sat Feb 11 11:27:08 EST 2017

Hi All,
It is my understanding that Richard provided a sample file showing the
problem with Trial Balance.

I was reading about an old bug and learned a little bit about the
approach to determining average cost in GC.  I had noticed that the
cost in TB was not what I calculated, but also saw that 2.6.14 gave the
same result as 2.6.15; now I sort of see why.  I think of average cost
as the weighted average of costs up to the report date, but GC seems
to use a more general weighted average.

I don't really understand why GC can't deal with commissions as a
separate expense, but it isn't that hard to work around.  Generally, I
think brokerage reports have the expenses identified separately.

If the bug-fix is simple then do it.  If there is a need to re-examine
the whole approach to dealing with stocks/commodities then I think
David's concerns should be factored into the requirements.

Mike Churchill