What purpose is served by the Account Code field?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 18 12:42:54 EST 2017

> On Feb 18, 2017, at 5:57 PM, Ken Heard <kenslists at teksavvy.com> wrote:
>
> Since my original post I discovered that the left most column in the
> accounts window -- whatever it may be -- is always a tree.  So if for
> example the placeholder column is placed there it will be a tree, but
> the account name column will not be.

Interesting. I see what you describe. I wonder whether it was intended to have the first column be the locus of the tree structure; it is a little disconcerting to expand the account type, for example. Also, I note that if one puts the Account Color in this position, the tree display gets messed up, with the widgets being placed behind the data for the next column because the color column doesn’t resize. I’m not sure what alternative one would use, however.

Finally, it can be confusing if you have some accounts without codes, as it can be difficult to determine which portions of the tree are expanded, which aren’t, and where one part of the tree ends.

David