GnuCash import from Quicken 2007 on OSX

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 27 10:40:20 EST 2017

Hi,

dbowen <DanEms at enkito.com> writes:

>> On Feb 24, 2017, at 9:32 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> dbowen <DanEms at enkito.com> writes:
>>
>>> Derek,
>>>
>>> A Class removal is, IMHO, not possible.
>>> I am open to arguments indicating foolishness on my part.
>
> Derek,
>
> < note: PRIOR included text skipped for the purpose of these next questions >
> < note: I will digest the removed text, but I have an important
> question about what I have found for QIF parsing tools >

QIF is just a text file, so you can use any text manipulation tool,
including perl, awk, and sed, to make simple changes.  For example, if
you open the file in a text editor you will see something that looks
like:

PKroger
D01/01/2017
T-123.45
LExpenses:Groceries
^

You should find a transaction in here that has a class associated with
it and post it; then I can help you massage the qif.

> The main tool I've found is the Python module qifparse (v0.5).
>
> Can I use that to merge the individual pieces of a split-transaction
> so that they are grouped together for tweaking
> before GnuCash import? (--or-- do I not understand what qifparse does ? )

I have no idea what qifparse does, so I wont be able to answer any
questions about it.  Sorry.

> I've read that the GnuCash import must bring the multiple pieces together.

It depends.  Sometimes you'll have qif files that look like:

!N:Acct1
PXXX
D...
T...
L[Acct2]
^

!N:Acct2
PXXX
D...
T...
L[Acct1]
^

This would be a transfer between Acct1 and Acct2.  If you have this in a
single qif file, or have it loaded into a single import, the importer
will notice that this is a single transaction and do the right thing.
If, however, they get imported separately you'll need to manually mark
them as duplicate transactions.

> I assume it is for import efficiency. That efficiency helps gather
> like entries for entry -or- editing.
>
> 1)	Can I do the same with qifparse?
> 	(For instance, can I create a sed-or-Perl manageable flat file
> that I can modify ? )
> 	(--or-- do I not understand what qifparse generates ? )
>
> 2) Can I somehow intercept the GnuCash import process to capture the
> split transactions en masse for modification?

I'm not sure what this means.

> If neither, I am nervous about my ability to understand the
> intricacies of GnuCash import on top of being a Python novice.

Ignore Python.  Focus on the QIF.

[snip]
> I understand your words, but still doubt my ability to recognize the
> oncoming-train-in-the-tunnel :-)
>
> Are there other extant tools for parsing QIF files, or is qifparse the
> best available?
> ( I assume qifparse handles Y2K date problems and other QIF-quirks )
>
> Are there Perl modules just as smart?

You're over-thinking the problem.

Have you actually *looked* at the QIF file?  The format is extremely
simple, so depending on what you need to change you might be able to do
it rather simplistically.

Honestly I haven't looked to see how it encodes classes in a
transaction.  So you MIGHT need to do something a bit more intelligent
than single-line editing.

If you can post a single example of a QIF transaction with a class then
it'll be easier to help you.