Importing prior transactions

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Wed Jan 18 14:09:49 EST 2017

Hi Rich,
  I was in the same boat about a year ago, switching from twenty years' use of Quicken to GnuCash. It is certainly possible to import old transactions via qif. However, I'll give you two caveats: First, I found that GnuCash bogs down with too much data. Because I did not want to have to go back to Quicken to look at the old data, I imported everything, tolerating the sluggish performance while I did this, and then split the file in two (everything before 2010 and everything after 2010). That reduced the file to a manageable size while still giving me the option of reviewing some of the old transactions.

  Second, I found that GnuCash's importer is extremely finicky. Therefore, I encourage you to run a few trial imports into a scrap file before you work with the real data. That should give you a chance to clean up the data without causing chaos in your production data. I'm sorry, but I can't remember all the details of the problems, but I do recall that I had to remove all non-ASCII characters from the qif file.

  Good luck with it.

Best,
John