Change storage format of existing data

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Jan 29 11:44:05 EST 2017

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017, David Carlson wrote:

> The commonly known features of most SQL databases like multi-user access
> and loading only the data needed rather than the entire database are yet
> to be implemented. The developers warn that data should only be saved
> through the GnuCash front end because relationships are not defined in the
> database but in the GnuCash code. Back-ups are not implemented at all,
> unlike the XML backups, which still do not back up user configurations.

David,

   All very good points of which I was unaware. I have the libdbi and
sqlite3/pgsql libdbi-drivers installed. I make postgres backups using either
pgdump on individual databases or pg_dumpall on the entire cluster.

> I agree with David T, however, that it is time to lay the cards on the
> table so users can see the advantages, disadvantages and proceed with due
> caution if that is what they want to do. For myself, I am staying with XML
> until the SQL structure is developed to the point of permitting multi-user
> access, partial data loading and data writes via other front-ends.

   Good advice. Perhaps the benefits of a RDBMS will be fully implemented in
the 2.8.x series.

Thanks for the enlightenment,

Rich